Wednesday 28 November 2012

Birthday Dress

Weeeee it was my 26th Birthday and I wanted to try make something for myself that was a bit rockabilly:)

I bought some blue and white polka dot fabric to go with my newly coloured hair..and started looking for a pattern.
I found this adorable Retro Butterick pattern B5748, which I plan to use many many times..

I slightly adjusted the front of the dress and decided to leave the bow off the front of the dress.
The size i originally cut out was way too big, so I had to do a fair bit of adjusting to fit my bust and match the sides in order for the zip to fit.... you can kindaaaaa not really see how much I'm holding it here, but not really? hahah

I also got my makeup/hair done rockabilly, to match the dress :) 
(You can see the change in neckline here, was rounded....)
and here is a couple of the finished product..
 
 
 
 
I got a lot of compliments on the day, and a stranger at the races even told me she loved my dress. So that was a big confidence booster :)
 
Then my friend Alicia asked if I would make her a similar dress for her engagement party.. and I told her I would be honoured... So we shall see how that goes :) EEEPP!!!!
 

10 comments:

  1. this dress is gorgeous!!! I may just have to steal this idea and make me a dress in blue with polka dots too!!! I made one previously in red cotton with white polka dots for a Minnie Mouse costume... but it's too "mousey" haha. I really love your dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the minnie dress, very cute! :) The one i made for my friend is pink and white, and that's a really cute combo!!.... Will post about it soon:)

      Delete
    2. Out of curiosity, how much fabric did you need to make the longer full skirt? I can only manage to make a mid-thigh length skirt when I make a full circle skirt by cutting a "donut". I haven't tried it the "pattern" way..

      Delete
    3. From memory about 2.5 mtrs... the front is on a fold obv, but is still quite wide and large.. (but you wont need that much, i cut it at a size 18)
      It seems like sooo much fabric with a full skirt, and with lining haha.. I think I'll go with what you said and won't fully line the skirts anymore.. so much fabric wastage..

      Delete
  2. OMG! I can not believe this is your first suit sewn for you! It's spectacular! You are a muse ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! I am anticipating using that pattern. I bought it but haven't chosen which fabric to use! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super cute! :) I plan on making many of these, looks awesome with a petticoat underneath.. I think it would look great in a Alexander Henry fabric, similar to your Junk Food Ceylon:)

      Delete
  4. What fabric did you use? Is it cotton? Like the kind from the quilting section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes just a thick cotton :) Wasn't from a quilting section no

      Delete

THANKS FOR SHOWING LOVE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Blogging tips